May 27, 2018

About Us  |  Support

How to Use Your Health Insurance Effectively for a Car Accident Injury

If you’ve been injured in a car accident, it is important that you seek medical care as soon as possible. In some cases, your medical insurance may be billed for expenses associated with an accident. However, the health insurance company may seek compensation from the other driver’s car insurance company and you can file a claim for any medical expenses you had to pay out of pocket.

Who Pays the Medical Bills?

Depending on where you live, the expenses associated with your medical care after a car accident may be split between your health insurance, your car insurance company and the other driver’s policy if the accident was their fault. Some states have no-fault accident insurance and require personal injury protection, PIP, to be a part of your auto insurance policy. No-fault car insurance is designed to quickly pay the expense associated with a car accident to minimize litigation.

In Idaho, Med-Pay is similar to PIP and is part of auto insurance in the state. If you’ve been injured in a car accident, Med-Pay should pay your bills and your medical coverage will be your secondary insurance. When you see a doctor or go to the hospital, inform them that you were involved in an auto accident. Before using your health insurance to pay claims, contact lawyers like Idaho Falls accident attorney to clarify who should pay the bills associated with your injuries and let them advise you about using your medical insurance for your care.

The doctor’s office or the hospital should bill Med-Pay, if you have it, for the medical expenses associated with your accident and then bill your health insurance company. However, you will want to contact both your car insurance and health insurance companies about the accident to make sure everything is billed properly and paid promptly. Your insurance companies may then seek reimbursement from the other party’s auto insurance company for what they paid out to cover your medical expenses.

Filing a Claim

If you had to pay anything out-of-pocket when you were treated for your injuries, such as a copayment, you can usually get reimbursed for that money when you file a claim against the other insurance company. Your attorney will help file a claim to make sure you receive just compensation for your injuries, including anything you’ve paid out, future treatments you will need, time off work and for pain and suffering. Usually, you will not be involved when your health insurance or car insurance companies seek reimbursement from the other driver’s insurance company.

As long as you have the appropriate coverage on your car insurance and have health insurance, you shouldn’t have issues with your medical bills being paid. Your attorney can then help you seek compensation for any medical expenses you had to pay out, for future treatments and other costs you have or will have as a result of the accident. If there are problems with medical expenses being paid and you are contacted, let your attorney know immediately so they can get those problems resolved.

This guest blog post was submitted by Davis Alley on behalf of Racine Olson.